Thread: First Shotgun ?
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2018, 02:25 PM

Default too many variables

Get someone that knows what they are doing to fit you for a shotgun and base your decision on fit first. Buy the best you can afford as no one has ever been disappointed by excellent quality (and holding resale value)
You already sound sensitive to recoil and that could be from poor stance or poor fit or bad habits you have acquired. I have seen some hold the shotgun like it was going to kick them and that actually makes it more likely to kick you. Lean into the shotgun so it is firmly planted in the right spot and feels like an extension of yourself. It is just a tool to help you do a job.
Many of us shoot sub gauges just as well or often even better than a 12 gauge. 20 gauge is only slightly more expensive, slightly more difficult to find shells and considerably less recoil if you stay away from 3 inch magnums.
I have a gun that shoots 3.5 and have 2 boxes of shells. Probably shot 5 or 6 shells out of one box over past 5-6 years. Dont need it. For geese 3 inch work fine if in range and you are practiced shooter. 2 3/4 in 12 or 20 work just fine for ducks if you do your part.
Semi's load themselves after every shot so if you are new to shotguns I would stay away for safety reasons. Pumps work great for waterfowl and of course break action (o/u and Sxs) are highly regarded by upland hunters with dogs.
Fit is still the most important factor to consider. I find high end guns have better fit finish and balance and the cheap ones often require more effort on your part as shortcuts in design fit and finish make you work harder to shoot them as well. Also won a cheap semi (entrance level) at a DU banquet and sold it right away as it kicked like a mule.
Did I mention fit?