View Single Post
Old 03-22-2019, 12:48 AM

There are some points I agree with and some I do not. I do think a change needs to be made though for the future of the sport and those living off it. Someone said my thoughts on another post in here, but look at keep limits and sizes. Pike over 63cm are (No biologist here...) getting to be the better breeders with stronger genes but we keep them. I've seen Pine lake cleaned out over the years, every fish of legal size, every 3 footer, you name it they were kept by guys all over the lake, 3 a piece and now finding a 24" went from an easy norm to almost none existent. Sadly those like me that catch and release 99.9% of the fish we catch just aren't enough to keep up to big groups taking all the big ones home. I think, (again, not a biologist etc...) a keeper size on pike for example in the 18-20" range or something like that would be more beneficial. Look at videos made in the states on youtube, not very often have I come across guys keeping their precious bass, but here every big fish goes home for some guys. Last weekend at Gull, after an extremely slow year a guy pulls up a pike over 3 feet and when I arrived at the lake, I was told he scooted on home with that fish... Big breeder and illegal keep, wish I was there at the time.... I'd be willing to put my name on a "Fishing education program" like for hunting, we could instill some respect and a little more knowledge on the youth since as many have said, "The sport is becoming more and more popular." I do feel to help the future that time should be taken to learn how to care for them, how to hold them, release them. I feel fairly stupid actually as I've fished many many years but it wasn't until the last few years I even knew about that 20 foot depth danger threshold with perch and walleye and what not. Caught many many in the 25 foot depth range and deeper, released them all but had no idea it was likely most of those ones died. Felt sick feeling I played a role in all this all the while thinking I was handling them and treating them with care. Things like that could have easily been taught to me from the start in such a program but I do realize not everyone will agree with me on this, I like to think I'm thinking about the future of the sport.
These are my thoughts, a long winded example and by no means the cure all and only answer but I think it would be a start in the right direction at least. I'll try and check in on this post for everyone's input. I don't really know how but it's all of us that need to help and push to change things. The surveys and things fish and game have been doing are a good start on getting our input, but limited by having to choose between their plans. If there's a group I don't know about that a guy can get involved in to help talk with fish and game or get the fisherman's voice valued more I'd sure be interested in their info. I think many of us would rather see specific sizes and lower keep limits than all out bans and tag systems and then dealing with those that cheat the system. Again, my opinion and hoping some agree lol. Short term pains for long term gains, but with a smart, well thought out and tested/proven plan of action. I feel regardless, for the central Alberta region that there will be a re-coup time necessary at this point and if we want to fish with our kids and grand kids then our opinions and needs need to be heard, and valued for what they are.
On another note, if there is a biologist or similar in here, is there a reason stocked fish don't reproduce? Or is it just a part of the process to hatch them because non spawning fish seems counter productive and rather costly in the long run.