View Single Post
Old 01-23-2014, 09:38 PM

Location: i have a home in calgary however i live as much of my life as possible in the woods
Default This is what somkers are for..

This is a recipe I do fairly often. In fact I do maybe 24 or so of these logs a year for different events and occasions...
Cardiologists everywhere love me:

I Start the day with a theme that includes:
3 packs of bacon. Yes, you can use maple bacon if you should so choose.
1kg of Johnsonville's spicy Italian ground Pork Sausage
500g of Johnsonville's Regular ground Pork Sausage
500G smoked dutch Gouda (grated)
And to keep with the theme, for the cook(s): one Bakon flavoured vodka Ceaser.

One Pack of bacon should be cut into 1" chunks and crisp fried. the other two are woven such as this into a "Blanket of Glory"

Then the Sausages-mixed together,topped with the Crisp fried bacon and then finally the smoked Gouda are layered on top:

The cheese goes all the way across the filling, this is just where I happened to take the picture... And ya, we are on to the second Bakon Ceaser by now.
Once you're layers are even, you want to roll this "Blanket of Glory" into the "log of Life" lol:

Coat with a high sugar content sauce. Mine is homemade with about 1 cup of brown sugar to a cup of light soy and some sesame oil.
Quote:
Let it "air Dry" for an hour or so at room temp then into the smoker at 180c. after 20 minutes start smoke for 1:30min. I like 1 hour of apple followed by 30 min of the JB.

After 30 min flip and re-coat with sauce,
Check your temp and if it's ready take it out and let it set under tinfoil. it should look like this when done:
You then want to slice it and serve.

Smaller Logs (3.5"-4.5") are great served on a slice of toasted baguette with a slice of sharp white cheddar melted on top. Larger sliced are great as burger patties themselves. Once sliced, it can be nice to throw them on the grill for 1 min each side to sear the up. whatever leftovers you have will make the best breakfast sandwich of your life and after that dice whatever is leftover into bacon bits for the most phenomenal Smoked Ceaser salad or on a baked potato.

I have made this with a variety of different seasonings, Methods of serving and types of bacon. It is always good, however you have to ensure that any bacon on the inside is crisp cooked prior to smoking/cooking. If not, you will end up with fatty(not the good fat)portions in your meal.
Hope y'all enjoy,

Reel.

Last edited by reelhooker; 01-23-2014 at 09:43 PM.