View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 06:16 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
Did you actually take a look for this info? I quick search and I found it in two places
Page 9 of the 2010 Draw booklet and Page 14 of the 2010 Hunting Regulations is all about the buying licenses and tags at Alberta RELM.

“If you purchase a licence online that requires a tag(s) you must use an
online paper tag available at your local Fish and Wildlife office free of
charge. The online paper tags contain a unique 10 digit tag number. You
are required to enter it when making your purchase.”

If you pick up a bunch of blank tags on your first visit then you don't have to go back. No reason you can't do one stop shopping online and get it all there.

Yes Rocky.
In fact both my wife and I read every line of the licensing pages numbers 20 through 27. Neither of us found any mention of this on those pages.
I did go over the page you mentioned before but since over half of it is an ad and the last half did not seem to deal with anything pertaining to licensing, seasons, WMU, changes, or prohibitions, I simply skimmed over it and did not realize it provided information I would need later.
At that point purchasing licenses online had not even occurred to me.

Since you pointed out that this page does explain the process, I went back and found that you are indeed correct.
So I'm not very internet savy and my memory isn't photographic. Does that mean I should forget about government services.

As for the other reference to this explanation. I have never been interested in the draw system and see no reason to check that booklet. So that wouldn't do me any good.
And BTW my wife and I both checked the RELM site to the best of our ability. We could find no mention of this there.

All I'm saying is that in this time of idiot proofing everything, the least our government could do is make this information readily available to average folks like me.
Or is the argument that I am lower then average and therefore do not matter?

Now, I understand what you say about picking up several tags for later use.
That makes sense. It would offer me no advantage as I still have to visit F&W every year to purchase a migratory bird permit. But I can see where it would be handy for those who don't hunt migratory birds.

I do think however, that it would make certain abuses very easy.
For instance, several years ago I encountered a fellow who told me that he would buy a game bird license and then hunt for whatever came his way. Only after he managed to bag an animal would he buy tags and licenses.
Or so he claimed.
I thought he was just trying to impress me with how clever he was. But since then I have had other people tell me that they know individuals that do this. I don't know if any of it is true but it seems possible to me.
If it really does happen, this system would make it a whole lot easier and greatly reduce the chances of such behavior being discovered. Let's hope that it wasn't true.

Jim