View Single Post
Old 07-15-2019, 07:46 AM

I’m late to the thread but want to point out something that has not been mentioned unless I skimmed over it. Most 3.5” shells have the same oz payload as 3” and some 3-/12” shells even have the same payload as 2-3/4”. Having said that usually a 1-1/8 oz in 3.5” is a 50-100fps faster. I have all my shotguns chambered for 3.5” but that’s only because it’s nice to have if you forget to grab an extra box of shells and have to bum a few off a buddy on a banger. When steel first came out as was mentioned it was very poor and that extra .5” made a big difference IMO. With the quality of the current steel shotshells I have not shot 3.5” in over 3 years and have never felt undergunned and my shoulder and head are a lot healthier. Nothing creates a flinch more then a crossing shot far to the right side with a 3.5” from a a lay down blind lol. The other thing to consider is the choke. I feel more comfortable on longer shots with my Patternmaster Code Black Goose and 3” then I do with factory choke and 3.5”.