View Single Post
Old 11-24-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR Fisher View Post
Hey Zip, I was wondering about trying different baits for whitefish.

Would a small, tight ball of chartreuse trout dough pressed onto the tip of the wire worm do the same thing as the bead as well as add some flavor? Do whites like the powerbait stuff?

Also, what do you think of the Impulse brand blood worm soft plastics? I was thinking about trying to wacky-rig one of those blood worm plastics on a little red colored octopus hook 12-18" above a small jigging spoon that I can pound the bottom with. Am I crazy, or will this work?

Thanks in advance for any replies / advice!

NSR Fisher … in reply to your Q’s;

In the past I’ve used a couple different colors/flavors of trout dough on my W/W, with not much success. That said there’s a couple old timers with lots of seniority that fish RR 23 with me and they do very well with orange or slime green dough on small 1/16 or 1/8 jigs. Perhaps it’s the way the bait sits on the hook, if too heavy your W/W hangs down & not horizontal which could be the cause. It would be interesting to hear from others on their experience/success.

Northland Tackle make a lot of great products, I’ve never tried the Blood Worm you mentioned, but I have had a lot of success on the mini Mr-Twister pattern in the fall just prior to end of the season and on occasion ice fishin using my camera in deep water (18-20 ft), in mid to late March. On my 3rd rod, I use a number jigging spoons and tie a W/W about 12-14” above the spoon and do exactly what you suggested pound the silt bottom which get active fish to come over and have a look and either hit the W/W or inhale the jig/spoon. Scott uses one called the Vibrato, I call it the Vibro, picked up a few of the 7 gr and they really produce, something worth considering, Cdn Tire sell them.

A few of my more popular ones.

Cheers

D.