View Single Post
Old 10-05-2018, 12:41 PM

My cousins had a summer cottage close to their grandparents farm in rural NB. The 2 girls always had ponies on the farm. The family eventually moved to Ont and the ponies didn't follow. After being in Ontario for quite a few years my uncle went back to NB to sell the cottage and tidy up some things as it didn't appear they were going to return to NB.
One of the things he tidied up was the sale of the ponies. So the purchasers show up to take the one pony home and have their little 6 or 8 yr old daughter with them all dressed up in her cowgirl regalia and of course she can't wait to ride her new pony, so they tack up the pony, but the little girl in the saddle, pull out the camera's and the pony falls over dead.
On reflection my uncle said that when he started doing the math after the tragedy he figured the pony was at least 20 years old and maybe more, and the thought that it might have a best before date never entered his mind..
The story has become a family heirloom sure to be told every time my Dad and my Uncle got together.
I don't know if the little girl ever got out of therapy.