View Single Post
Old 12-09-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post

the 270 is lighter bullets, and different powders than the 3006. It has less recoil and less energy, but it is a good popular option if 3006 was too much kick for someone

Heres my take on cartridges.

1. 7mmRemMag my opinion is the best shooter of all cartridges, but too big for me.
2. 3006 kicks harder than i enjoy in my light rifles
3. 308 win perfect recoil and i like short action
4. 270 win same recoil as 308 , a bit flatter shooting, but the skinner calibre drops its hole size ability and id rather go short action
5. 7mm-08 better recoil, nice but ill stick with the more popular 308 since i can do that recoil
6. 25-06 pretty cool, but my opinion would go to 270 win if i was to do long action.
7. 6.5 creedmore seems nice but too rare and im comfortable with more recoil so ill take higher energy of 7mm-08 or 308
8. 243 win. Super small recoil. Great for that purpose.

Get the biggest cartridge you can comfortably enjoy

No real issues with any of the above but just to nitpick a little.

- recoil between 30-06 and 7RM is nada
- recoil between either of the above and the .270 is close to nada - I notice very little variance between my 270 and 7RM and both rifles have similar stocks.

- bigger hole with a 308 than a 270? Load 150 partitions into both and at all yardages the 270 is faster, flatter, and retains more energy so I'm confused as to how the 308 carves bigger holes. If you don't like that comp have a look at 140 AB's in the 270 vs 165's in the 308. The margins get even wider in favor of the 270. So I don't think a 308 will do a darn thing better hunting wise than a 270 other than shorten up your action (not really a factor in BA rifles), lower your brass cost for reloading, and allow one to shoot bigger bullets if you think that helps. If I'm in need of those the 308 is way down my list of choices.

Go back to the early days of the 270. If I'm not mistaken they had to slow it down to keep it from creating too much carnage on game. I don't really understand the poor acceptance levels for a cartridge that outdoes so many by a healthy margin in so many circumstances.

Maybe being an older cartridge it just can't run with the new cool kids on the block like the 7-08.