View Single Post
Old 06-16-2021, 03:27 PM

Default Skip the ice, let’s go billfishing.

We then packed the gear and kept trucking west for the boat ramp.

Busted head first and the town of 1770. This is where captain cook came to land when he discovered this country. If you can’t guess what year that was or how the town got its name I guess you’ll have to google it.

Back safe and sound

And the few fish that are now vac sealed in my freezer

On the drive home I told the boys we will need to upgrade the gear. The Avet reels will get replaced with talica 12’s. That will give us 41” of line retrieval per crank and 40lbs of drag.

We found the best bait was the tuna Nolan caught last break. Cut into strips it was great… until we ran out. Mullet worked well, hussar strip baits when we caught a hussar or the standby pilchard in a squid

All of them were hooked on a double hook rig, usually J hooks but a few stingers were circle hooks. I took about 80-100 J hooks and ran out between the sharks, snags and being bricked we lost a lot of weights and hooks. We also ran out of bait which is when we pulled the pin and headed home.

That place is addictive. I’m no reef fisherman yet but it could happen. If the weather cooperates next break I’ll be heading back up there. At a minimum I want to make another trip or two this winter.

Last edited by Coiloil37; 06-16-2021 at 03:34 PM.