View Single Post
Old 04-20-2021, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
just a thought...ever think of bringing out a kayak and attempting to fish out of it too? Would be a blast but a long rewarding fight
Short answer, no I’ve never thought of it. Long answer, better have some live baits to troll around cause you would be exhausted trying to paddle around at 12-15km/h trolling lures.

Guys take yaks out all the time. Usually they’re within 2-3 miles of shore but when they hook marlin I’ve heard of them being dragged out a long ways. One guy got one here last year and it took him 16 miles out before he landed it. He got it on a spinning rod and it spooled him so he locked the drag off, clipped a second rod to the first and threw the first rod overboard. Once he fought the fish enough and got back to the first rod he resumed the fight on the original fishing rod. Fairly resourceful if you ask me.
I read of another boat that had a double on marlin. They were at risk of being spooled on both so one guy put on a life jacket and bailed out of the boat holding one rod. The boat chased the other fish down and tagged it then went and picked old mate out of the ocean and they went after the second fish ultimately losing it. Porter and I discussed what we are going to do when we stick a proper double and decided we are cutting the smaller fish or fish hooked on the cheapest lure loose early in the fight before he gets off the mono topshot so we don’t lose to much line and preferably none of the braid. There’s no way we could handle a double without being spooled by at least one or have them tangle and lose both. On the big girl we hooked yesterday I was happy it was on the tiagra with 1200+m of line on it. Had we hooked it on a tyrnos with 900m of line he might of spooled us before we cleared all the gear.

I’ve got all my leaders swapped over to 300lb to try and prevent another loss from bill chafe. Two rods needed new mono after a single fish each and a few bent hooks were replaced. Taking a newbie out along with rosie tomorrow to try it again. Still looking to land the man in the blue suit and tomorrow might be the day.