View Single Post
Old 03-28-2024, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
You had a few misses. Let’s clarify.

Australia killed its domestic auto manufacturing a few years ago. The cost of doing business in this country is higher than a third world country and ford was the last to pull out.

Housing is high but regional and proximity to water and some cities drives prices. Not much different than Canada it’s all about location. Here’s the latest stats though

Half the population lives in Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne. If your within an hour of those cities or living on the water housing is not cheap. There are new build shortages and since Covid prices have gotten much worse then they used to be. Our place has doubled in value since 2021 so back then it was affordable by Alberta standards and now it’s less so.

Here are examples of whats on the market now close to the water but 3 hours north of Brisbane. I tried to talk the missus into moving north a bit further but she’s to happy here with her friends.

This one includes both sheds on the right. And is mid $900’s about 3km from the ocean.

This one can be had in the high 800’s and that’s the ocean in the top and left in the pictures.

It’s no trouble to find a home in the 400’s if needed or a mansion away from the water for far less then a mill.

Fuel has a $.47 cent per litre tax on it. Currently we’re paying $1.86 per litre for 91 reg.

Who cares what the middle of the countries like? Last I checked Canadas north was relatively inhospitable as well.

I’ve never seen a water shortage. We’ve got plenty of water but again that’s a seasonal and regional problem that might show up anywhere. It’s still something I haven’t seen. All the dams and reservoirs are full.

Correct we support the mining sectors. There’s a reason Queensland posted a 12 billion dollar surplus last year and it’s due to our mining. That’s only some states though, not the country.

We are far from woke though by every metric. I’ve literally seen campaign signs with anti woke messages written on them. That said, WA and Victoria are closer down that path but nowhere near where Canada is.
Believe it or not, different states have different opinions on subjects and vote politically in ways that reflect their beliefs. That then translates to various policies and culture. It’s a big country with vast differences.

Wages are higher. If we compare apples to apples. Here’s MacDonald this morning.

Just remember that weekends are time and a half and holidays are double time.

If you want a job on a mine I’ve got connections and can get you one driving a truck and they’ll start you at $180k a year for a 7/7 roster. Camp life with transportation to and from the mine site covered. After 6 months probation you’ll get full time and they’ll upgrade your skills. Guys top out around $1800/day once they’re trained.

If your a safety germ I’ve got some connections there too. I have a buddy who works as an hse advisor on a pipeline, he’s 14/14 on 300k a year.

I’m oil and gas, we have been dragging the proverbial pay scale for to long. It’s sad, lease hands are only starting on $600/day and they work 14/14.
You are saying basically the same thing I am hearing and my son is hearing from people we know in Australia

It’s funny how many Canadians think Australia is so woke but the only person I know in Australia that mentions woke policies is in Sidney. I just assume it’s the big city thing Same as here