View Single Post
Old 10-12-2021, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The fact is, that every member has the right to intervene, if a violation of the range rules occurs, but many people are too intimidated to approach other people that they don't know at a range. Even some executives of the ranges are hesitant to approach offenders, unless it is a blatant safety violation that requires immediate attention. The result is that some people get used to doing what they want, until the executive receives complaints, and has to act to resolve the situation. Then the executive has to review video, and speak with witnesses, and follow up from there, all of which takes up time, that is limited for most range volunteers. Our club is relatively small, less than 1000 members, so complaints are not all that common, in fact most violations are actually observed by executive members while present to shoot, or to do range maintenance. But we do act on all violations we are aware of in a timely manner, usually with an explanation of the range rules, and a warning if deemed necessary. And that applies to all members including law enforcement and even executive members. We even had to remove a range officer a few years ago, because of his behavior towards other members, and because he was making up his own range rules. And for serious or repeat violations, we aren't going to deal with the offenders again, their membership will be revoked, and if they enter our facility again, they are considered trespassers.
It sounds like your club is doing what they can to manage the range properly but they also need to be notified by the members regarding issues to do so

As for people being intimidated I may never understand this because I was raised to deal with my issues if I want to see them change. 9 times out of 10 things are sorted out without any confrontation as long as you approach things with a reasonable attitude so I don’t see the need for feeling intimidated either

Maybe I just have a different mind set then most but I don’t get those that are bothered by others and don’t try to sort it out