View Single Post
Old 08-26-2019, 08:55 AM

Default Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
That pup looks like he won the 6/49 getting himself in a good home. A buddy and I were talking yesterday. When you get a pup from great bloodlines, as you did, there are only two factors that determine whether you will hunt with great sense of pride and a smile on your face or be blowing on your whistle and yelling like a buffoon at a release site.

Those two factors are...

1) A willingness to seek out all the knowledge you can get your hands on. This can come from videos, books, gundog forums, training sessions, but most importantly people who have "been there and done that". No substitutes for successful experience. No one reads or studies more voraciously than I do. I grew up with pointing dogs and had dang good ones too. Got the blue ribbons to prove it. However, after moving over to labs last year after getting burned on a "finished" GWP, I had to start all over. I am doing my best to follow the DVD training program of arguably the world's top lab trainer, but last night I spent time with Pixel Shooter who has trained many incredible dogs. I learn more with him in one evening, doing three or four different drills/scenarios than I do in watching 10 hours of video. Why? Every dog is individual, and guys with experience can look at what you and your dog are doing, diagnose issues, show you how to correct them, and give you things to work on until the next time you meet.

Join Navhda and seek out a mentor. Doesn't have to be an every night affair, but having the ability to get together from time to time is invaluable.

Let me also mention that there are bird-dog trainers who will work with you by the session. It looks like you live in Southern Alberta, so you have easy access to at least three really great trainers including our own WWBirds who also happens to own a gamebird shooting preserve. What an incredible opportunity right at your finger tips.

2) Time spent training with your dog. If you want a real bird-dog there are no substitutes for time in the field and birds. There just ain't. Your doctor didn't go to school for three months, nor do good bird-dogs just happen by random walks in a field.

All the best on a great journey with that beautiful pup, Caddisman!
It has been a journey for sure just having a puppy and trying to learn all about that. when to push and how much. The gun introduction has been going way better than expected. Started with cap guns in the backyard while playing. took her out shooting at targets with the 22. Then trowing clays and the 410. This week I introduced a 28 gauge after the 410 and no flinching or a care in the world. Next week I hope to introduce a 20 gauge and hopefully buying some chuckars. Need to WWbirds to see if I can buy some.
Does anyone do training where you don't have to leave the pup for a week or a month, don't think I could bear a month without her.