View Single Post
Old 08-22-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddisman View Post

I have Wirehaired Pointing Griffon that is 5 months old and strong willed, knows the commands but at times will not come.

Do I really need the most expensive $500 kind? I realize that if the pup is well trained you shouldn't but.

What are hunters using and why?
Sounds like you might have a Crossiron pup? If so, congrats. I got to watch a few of them last weekend and their field work was amazing.

For basic training, the basic models will work fine. It really comes down to which features you would prefer to have. You can really get them as minimal or as fancy as you like. I will back those who have suggested Sportdog as a manufacturer. They make some pretty good (and durable) systems.

I've used a basic model for the last 4 years, but as I now have 2 dogs (one still too small for a collar) I'm having to consider getting a 2-dog system with GPS, which is going to push my budget a bit.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor