View Single Post
Old 08-13-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Sam View Post
Hello fellow outdoorsmen. My oldest son is turning 12 in October and is looking forward to hunting this year. I was introduced to hunting as a young adult so I don't have much experience hunting as a youth. I am looking for advice on a caliber that my 12 year old son can shoot that won't throttle him with recoil but will be suitable for several years that he can still shoot down the road. Any input would be helpful. I was thinking of a 7 mm-08 or a 25-06. Thoughts?
What do you want to shoot with it? Do you handload? Are you looking at buying a "new" rifle or passing down/lending one you currently have? What kind of range do you usually shoot game at? And how big and strong is your kid?

I could throw out a lot of generalities that might work, but without knowing a little more it's hard to tailor something that would be "just right".

A shorter stock that fits, as well as a good recoil pad makes a huge difference on the perceived recoil. And something with a lot of muzzle blast, like a high pressure cartridge, out of a short barrel, or muzzle brakes, will contribute to a hard to cure flinch.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!