View Single Post
Old 08-13-2019, 10:53 AM

I spent a fair bit of energy trying to figure out the best chambering for my kids to shoot once they’re old enough to hunt and I settled on the 7mm08 for several reasons. It’s fairly light kicking, which was a must for the criteria I was trying to meet but it’s also easy to find ammo for, it’s chambered in short action rifles, my experience is that it’s been easy to work up accurate loads for and it’s very versatile. I wanted something that would be good for deer hunting but would also be able to be used on elk and moose. The last couple years I’ve hunted exclusively with the 7mm08 and used it to take a black bear and a large cow elk and It performed great. Shooting 140gr trophy bonded tipped bullets I was very happy with the results. So much so that I’m in no hurry to return to my regular rifle in 300wsm as I feel confident in taking the 7mm after anything I’m hunting for. If the plan is just to hunt deer sized game then by all means go with a .243 but I think there’s a lot to be said for getting youngsters started with a round they can be confident in taking into any hunt they may go on.