View Single Post
Old 06-24-2015, 07:06 AM

Default Sako 85 Black Bear

I plan on shaking up the gun safe sometime in the future to make room for one of these chambered in 30-06 (have not purchased yet).

I love the look and feel of this gun, and have wanted a Sako that I could use in many Alberta hunting situations (deer and elk primarily for me). I currently use a 7mm RM, and will still use it, but I could see this becoming my default.

I'd appreciate some feedback/opinions on this approach, both pro and con. Here's some things I've thought about:
  • The short barrel (20") will reduce muzzle velocity and impact bullet drop somewhat, but not sure how much. I'm considering using Federal Vital Shok w/ 165 gr Nosler Partitions). If anyone has any data on this it would be appreciated.
  • Since the rifle is equipped with iron sights, I thought this would be a good dual purpose shooter and bush gun. I've done little to no research on potential detachable scope mounts, but this could be a good option for this gun - yes/no? Or should I just get optilocks and forget it?

They don't get big by being dumb.