View Single Post
Old 04-18-2018, 10:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
^ Fair statement that I would agree with.

They are pretty careful to only comment on aboriginal hunting. The link below shows the 'position' of several different organizations.

https://albertawilderness.ca/wordpre...nd-Fishing.pdf

Here's what I could find:

Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society:
CPAWS is opposed to hunting/trapping in national parks or national parks reserves, with the exceptions of hunting by Aboriginal people whose hunting rights are established by legislated land claims agreements, treaties, or other constitutional rights or where provisions for local sport hunting rights for a limited time period were made for the national park or park reserve during its establishment provided that these activities do not compromise ecological integrity or harm the long term health of habitats or species.

CPAWS supports hunting in provincial/territorial parks and protected areas by Aboriginal people with established rights, provided that these activities do not compromise ecological integrity or harm the long‐term health of habitats or species.
Their focus is on parks, but them adding support of licensed, sport hunting for conservation management reasons in addition to aboriginal hunting would indicate they are not against non-native hunting. That concurs with discussions I've had with the two CPAW members I referenced earlier.