View Single Post
Old 12-09-2018, 09:15 PM
Gone Hunting

For a trapline tool, I liked my old single shot Cooey. It was short, light, tough, cheap, and reliable.

Dispatching animals was always a one shot deal. Never ever did I need a second shot.
I also took a lot of squirrel, grouse and beaver with that little rifle. The best part though was it cost me the mighty sum of $25.00
These days one would more likely have to lay out at least $75.00 for one.

And it wouldn't be shiny or smooth, but who cares. A trap line tool won't stay pretty for long if it is actually used as intended.

I have one semi .22. A model 552 Remington. It came to me as a failed bubba project. Converted to a pump by some unknown rocket scientist that didn't understand that there are internal parts critical for pump operation that are not standard in the auto.

The plan was to repair it as a pump. which the owner believed it to be.
Thus far I have put around $200.00 worth of parts into a $120.00 gun and although it does function as an auto now, there is more to do to make it right.

Working on that rifle has convinced me to never use an auto as a knock about. They are too sensitive to dirt, wear and parts failure.
And with Remington's, bubba fixes.

George Bernard Shaw