Thread: Winter Kill
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2022, 07:38 AM
Gone Hunting

Each area has it's own challenges for sure.

Here in NW Alberta we have over two feet of snow in the bush, a high Wolf population, about an average number of Coyote for around here and we just come out of three weeks of -35 to -40 for daytime highs.

I doubt many Deer have died yet but I'd bet they are running on empty about now. At least around here.

Like I said earlier, most years I have Deer in my yard almost every day but there has not been a fresh track in my yard in the past three weeks.

I was over at my sister's this afternoon. Same thing over there except they are seeing Deer, right in front of the house. She said they come in for some stale Canola she put out for the birds and even the dog does not scare them off.
Because of the dog they very rarely see Deer in the yard and when they do come in the don't stay for long. Usually no more then a couple of minutes.

Plus from seeing 15 or twenty a day this fall they are seeing three now, and not many tracks in their pasture. That pasture is usually tramped down by Deer this time of year. Today I counted six tracks of varying vintage when I crossed it.

Two or three days of -40 is no problem for a healthy Deer but 20 days in a row wears them down. And the deep snow here means they have to work harder to fill their bellies.

My guess is they are holed up in the thick stuff, too weak to look for better feed.

I would not be the least surprised if we lost half the herd in the next three months.

George Bernard Shaw