Thread: Testing meat
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
I think that game living in nature would gravitate to food that they were designed to eat. I think that in nature for the most part the stronger and healthier or fitter will survive to breed. I think that we were designed to eat food that is found in nature.

I think that in order to feed the masses we have resorted to eating meat produced in the most unnatural conditions and feed food to these animals that is not natural in quality and amount. I think that animals kept in crowded and unnatural conditions will be obese and sick and need to be medicated to survive. Feed lot animals do not need to be fit to survive to old age but just made to survive long enough to allow the processor to claim them rather than the disease they have developed.

As far as special diet for these food animals I see nothing special about animals that live with chronic diarrhoea and display symptoms of many metabolic diseases. I blame their forced formulated diet.

I do not think that vaccines, disease treatment or a formulated diet is required or desired to create healthy food.

All that said, I have developed a taste for AAA beef, but I do not fool myself that it is optimum for good health.
I have just bolded somethings that I would disagree with or like you to further explain on. I am not saying you are wrong and this is an open forum where opinions are not right or wrong but I think that if you are going to make claims against farmers that put food on people's plate 3 times a day, and allow us onto their land to hunt (considering this is in the hunting thread), these claims should be based on fact.

Obese cows do not reproduce as well, so not only would decrease production and therefore cost money, but cows that are open are usually shipped and would not be in the herd. Animals that are sick do not gain as well (assuming we are talking about beef now) so keeping animals from being sick is priority. Obese cows also have a greater risk of dystocia which can lead to production losses as well.

Processing facilities are inspected by a veterinarian and sick animals with any carcass concerns are condemned. This means that processors do not want sick animals as it costs everyone money.

What are symptoms you are talking to and what are these various metabolic diseases that you claim they have?

In my opinion, food is either safe for you or it is not. We are very lucky here to have good food security because of the CFIA, consumer demand etc.

Most of the things above are economical issues but there is a large amount of pride in the farming community and most producers want their animals looking good, feeling good etc. and just have the best herd in general.

Now I am not saying that none of these things happen in the industry when they obviously do. However, I think that these adverse events are outliers and people do everything they can to keep their animals healthy.

Sorry if this goes to a bit of a thread derail, I just thought that I should bring this up. Once again, these are just my opinions and I appreciate the chance of this forum to discuss these!

Last edited by Chief16; 11-17-2017 at 11:04 AM.