View Single Post
Old 02-14-2016, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
TFNG... the snare pole set using a slot in the ice.. Aren't you concerned with chainsawing or cutting into a caught beaver when opening a hole in the slot set? Do you find that your snare pole freezes in quicker too?
I can't say, that's the first snare pole I've ever set up. Cutting up a beaver is a concern but I'll just have to be careful and see how it goes. I've got a good pick that will remove large chunks of ice if there's a hole there. We're not making much ice here right now. I don't want a snared beaver up on top of the ice, that's why I didn't make a big hole.

Hunter Dave that's a 1/8 ferrule. I drilled one side bigger to accept a 20d common nail. I read somewhere that the light makes the bait pole more visible lol!! It's not that cold so I'm not too worried about how much ice will build. I was kind of worried about taking over your thread.

This is just the way I decided to go about it after doing my research. Things will change as I gain experience I'm sure. I'm learning as I go.

A worthwhile read for a new under ice beaver trapper I think.
http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbt...pics/2319353/3

Last edited by Tfng; 02-14-2016 at 11:40 PM.