View Single Post
Old 02-14-2016, 10:06 AM
Banned

A couple of labor saving tricks here :
1 ; With lack of bait ; Use a small piece of styrofoam (Yes Yes I know !)garbage
2; Use 175 lb plastic quick ties , They are used as handcuffs , are quick and hold s 75 lbs beaver.
3; Bottom of the run is always harder than the sides.
4; One run will be used almost exclusively as toilet run where they dump sticks , dont use this one , This is where they carry sticks
5; Run indications are an indent in the side of the lodge where the side slightly caves in
6; When thick ice and hard freezing , caver hole with a lot of snow , like a mound and prevents freezing when you come back for a check .
7; Use a branch pruning shear on a long handle to clear feed bed under ice, hook and cut or saw a log .
I know the fur value is lacking but the castorium is still very good priced.
8; Just in case you are not aware LURE has NO value in under ice trapping! Don,t laugh some fellows think it works ! Your better off sticking it where the sun don,t shine for all the good that does LOL
9; When snaring close to the house , Beaver sometimes get to air pockets in the area where the ice freezes to the lodge , stay far enough away to allow suffocation .
10; last but not least , and this is the one I,ll get arguments about , Beaver do not drown they suffocate .
Check any beaver in a submersion set and it has NO water in the lungs , BUT it has petechiae under the skin small broken blood vessels , Indicates suffocation.