View Single Post
Old 04-26-2017, 03:33 PM

Default First Time Fly Fishing

I went for my first attempt at fly fishing this past weekend to Dewitt Pond and had a blast. I took my kids with me, who were spin casting, catching weeds, and loving every minute. I took my fly rod to try some casting on real water. I did not expect to catch anything, i just wanted to put some line on the water for the very first time. A short while into out trip, my one kid complains about the bugs flying around him and asks to switch spots, which I do. At first I don't notice any bugs but shortly after I get swarmed. I think to myself I may have to move spots but stop and say to myself 'hey there are bugs, i should switch to a dry fly' and I do. While switching out flies my kids start yelling about some jumping fish. I look and sure enough 2 jump less than 3' from shore. I put my dry 2' from shore and not 2 minutes later a fish takes the fly. I was so surprised that I was not able to set the hook in time. I put the fly down in roughly the same spot and have 2 more takes in less than 5 minutes. It was so exciting, I felt like I was the same age as my kids. No fish were caught but we all had a blast. I can't wait to get out there again.