View Single Post
Old 09-24-2019, 04:45 AM

Chipmunk .22 when I was 10. Had a very soft black walnut stock, the barreled action kept loosening in it, and if I remember right, the rear peep loosened up a couple times too. Other than that, it seemed like a nice little gun. But it went down the road and I got better .22s from Dad.

He also gave me my first big game rifle, which was a used Marlin 30-30, probably when I was 12. I think he gave me a Bushnell Banner 1.5-4x which I put on the rifle. Really nice and bright little scope for a cheap one. Ended up giving it to my sister in exchange for another little centerfire.

Got given his 20 gauge Winchester (37?) single shot break open about the same time as the Marlin. Seemed to be Dad's truck gun, always taken apart and wrapped in a few rags behind the seat. Still have it, but don't use it much.

Think I was 14 when I bought my first rifle with myself. Sporterized Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55. Had a very old Tasco on it, which I eventually upgraded a bit. In the later years, I took the upper stock off, barrel band, and sweated the rear sight mount off. Did a cold blue (kind of gray-ish), cut the fore stock shorter and reprofiled, glass bedded the barrel, and mounted a new sling swivel stud up front. Put a lighter stain on the wood. Put a nice leather sling on it. Still hunt with it once in a while. Eventually I'll refinish the stock a little nicer, as I really slathered on the finish thick.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!