View Single Post
Old 07-05-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty View Post
As a Metis that has always been Metis, never had the opportunity to "hide" behind my skin color out of fear of racism of being a "half breed", I'm embarrassed by these articles. Funny that certain people are suddenly brave enough to say they are Metis when there are certain rights involved. Ron or Rafter, what constitutes subsistence to you and those involved in the "fighting for Metis" rights?? Out of personal integrity I have never exercised the Metis harvesting as I don't "need" free hunting to feed my family. If I did, it would be a moose to put on my own table and to share with my extended family, not an antelope.

In answer to your other questions, I have my Metis card, have had one for years and obtained a new one. In fact, my Metis ancestors were the first to claim Metis and had Metis numbers given to them as far back as the 1860's. I vote in the Metis elections, I help people in my community, Metis or not and I suspect I and my family have a stronger connection to the Metis spirit than you do.
Sporty,

You have me confused with some one else.

One comment though, our people including you, voted to put on the communal hunts in order to goad the Gov't into court. Our people appointed me as your Captain and the community came together and campaigned accross the Province. You were and are a part of it.

As far as your family having a stronger connection to the Metis Spirit than me, I suggest you re read your family tree as we are related.

Ron Jones