View Single Post
Old 03-06-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTRED View Post
I can't remember which of the magazines I read the article in but it was about how effective the 20g is as a slug gun. As I recall the 45-70 and 20g share many similarities in energy and ballistics(when the 20g uses rifled slugs). Making it more effective than the 12g, when combined with a scope shooting decent groups at ranges past 150-200m. I wish I could find that article again it was really informative, made me want a 20g
This, not a slug gun hunter myself but anyone I know who has tried both seems to prefer the 20ga as a slug gun.

Although a lot of guns lay claim to the title "The Gun That Won the West" the gun that outnumbered all others by a huge margin, particularly in Canada, was the trade gun. It was essentially a flint lock 20ga musket, and was popular because it could be used to kill anything from rabbits to bison. Due to its versatility it lays claim to having the longest production run of any gun in history, remaining essentially unchanged for around 300 years, and was still being produced and used in the early 1900's.... to put that into perspective, it was popular before the Pennsylvania rifle was ever invented, and still in use after the Winchester repeater had risen to popularity.... pretty hard to argue with a track record like that.