View Single Post
Old 01-16-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One6one View Post
Sporterized .303 Lee Enfields go for around $150-300 , there’s usually a few for sale in Alberta on sites like gunpost that you could go see in person.
The thing with a 303 is they have a moderate recoil in a round that will put down anything you want to kill and are also very easy to shoot accurately with iron sights. My wife can hit a 1 gallon washer fluid jug at 100 yards with iron sights on my 1915 Lee Enfield and she barely shoots except the odd occasion she comes out with me. Ammo is easy enough to find at most Canadian tires / Cabela’s etc and is no more expensive than .270’s , .308’s etc.
Most people will write them off as an antiquated gun but if you do your part then that rifle will kill anything just as dead as a $1000 gun and scope will.
"Just as dead" i love that term. You are right that if you fatally hit something the end result of death is the same dead as any other dead. But a $1000 scoped rifle will very much have more potential for a successful kill shot on game than an iron sighted rifle will be capable of in the common hunters hands. A scopes ability to collect light in dim conditions, fine crosshairs, unobstructed view around the point of aim, magnified view, sight alignment error with iron sights, not even being able to see your sights in low light... scopes are popular for a reason