View Single Post
Old 01-13-2018, 07:50 PM

If your objective is to put a bullet right where you want it than I agree with the idea of starting off with 22 to learn how to shoot.

If you want to have fun and blast paper then get a 9mm and enjoy. There is nothing wrong with either route.

The black badge course is a good option for center fire even if you don't want to compete.

Whichever way you go, get someone to show you the correct way to shoot. There are a lot of small things to be aware of even in the grip and trigger use. I spent a lot of years learning these myself and it would have been so much easier to have learned correctly at the beginning. Practice is important but my opinion is that focusing on each shot and learning from it is more important than volume of shots.

I have a number of handguns and find my favourite gun changes with the day. Find one that is comfortable.

The ideal option is to get yourself a 9mm and your wife a 22 as a thank you for giving you the green light on your purchase. Also if you get her hooked future purchases will be much easier.

In July Alberta Fish and Game puts on an outdoor woman's course which includes proper training on a handgun. Details on AFGA site.