View Single Post
Old 09-24-2019, 09:19 AM

I’m going to include some information here that may or may not be kosher with the mods as it is slightly off topic but hopefully people will recognize its importance. Like BPM I will include a link to my Facebook where I shared this post and hope it can gather some steam and go viral because it reveals how under represented Alberta is in Canada by being significantly shorted on MP’s based on our population. As this simple mathematical fact is non-partisan and effects every Albertan equally regardless of their political preference I hope it can remain. To me this is a massive issue and it should get everyone motivated to contact their MP &/or their preferred candidate who is running for election.

https://www.facebook.com/stuart.rudo...98153950401340

When I was responding to a friends post the other day I looked into Elections Canada data to cull some numbers on AB & QC provincial ridings and their respective populations. I had looked it up before so the figures were familiar, but I thought it is important to share the data as it will surely ruffle some feathers with Albertans or anyone who likes a fair playing field. I will link the Elections Canada page at the bottom for anyone who wants to cross-check the math and verify that the data is from a legitimate source. Note that the data is from 2014 but being as PM Trudeau didn't follow through with his campaign promise of electoral reform, no drastic changes should have occurred since. How many broken Liberal Campaign promises is that at this point? I'm probably going to have to take off my socks!

Quebec:
Population 8,164,361
Seats in Parliament: 78
Average population per MP: 104,671

Alberta:
Population: 4,067,175
Seats in Parliament: 34
Average population per MP: 119,622

Ontario
Population: 13,448,494
Seats in Parliament: 121
Average population per MP: 111,144

Difference; 14,951 more voters per MP in Alberta than in Quebec. 14.2% less representation in Parliament than Quebecers and 7.6% less representation than Ontarians. We're just not important enough I guess? With their much higher populations do they even need to stack the decks in such a manner? Obviously this significant representation imbalance should infuriate all Albertans, regardless of their political stripe.

To have the same representation as Quebec, Alberta would need to have 38.85 MP's (lets round to 39 so that no amputations are required). We're 5 MP's short of equivalent representation by population in Parliament and yet we are sending obscene amounts of money in transfer payments their direction. Does this seem fair when they're simultaneously blocking our pipelines with their over-represented votes in the House? All this while they're also importing foreign oil and unnecessarily increasing our national trade deficit. You can't make this stuff up, except its Quebec so we've really grown to expect it. Welcome to Western Canada.

https://www.elections.ca/content.asp...-VwDCaJkrTCy8M