View Single Post
Old 09-09-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Shoot between the heart beats...... I seldom even have to do it consciously anymore, it’s just part of getting the mojo going.

I shot competitive biathlon for 15 years, including international and Olympic level. Maybe the competition BR guys can chime in with more info. Here is my take:

While I agree that it is technically possible to shoot between systolic heartbeats, I can attest that the worlds best biathletes pay no attention to heart rate, other than deep breathing sequences prior to shooting in competition and training to drop the heart rate from say 185bpm to around 150.

This is from sling-supported prone shooting and unsupported standing. Peep sights with no magnification.

I have little centerfire benchrest experience, other than load workup for hunting rifles.

I really believe that in this case MAGNIFICATION can be your enemy since it will make any movement more noticeable in the reticle. I would suggest two things (other than laying off the coffee and not forgetting the beta blockers*):

1. Dial down the scope;
2. Learn to accept what I call the area of acceptable hits. What I mean is that if your crosshair is within a given acceptable target area (or kill zone) and the crosshair spends 95% within that area, then quit focusing on a perfect hit. Just believe that the VAST majority of shots will be hits. Your squeeze of the trigger will be steadier, with less chance of slapping or jerking the shot. If you are too unstable and your crosshair spends more time outside of the kill zone, then adjust position and get more steady.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk