View Single Post
Old 05-23-2020, 09:42 AM

Default Tile flooring - heated or not?

So the missus and I are planning to have tile flooring installed on the main floor of our house. Foyer,kitchen,dining room, and bathroom. Around 400sq feet if I recall. With a couple Labs around the house, the flooring takes a beating so we want it to last.

The hang up right now is trying to decide if we want to have any heat installed under it.

For those of you that have tile...what are your thoughts? Worth the extra cost to have it heated? Or is it not worth it?

The way I look at it, It’s a commitment either way... but if we install the tile, and don’t have it heated, we are stuck with that. Maybe wishing we did. We could always install the heating pads underneath, and not use it, but that’s potentially a waste of money.

Could do a limited section maybe around the kitchen where most use would occur anyway. But would that just be a silly idea? The basement is finished, would the heat from below radiate upward to keep the tile warm anyway? Just brainstorming right now. But hoping to have the project done by end of summer.

Appreciate any input from folks on here with experience.

Also if there’s any contractors in the Calgary area you might want to recommend I’m all ears. Pms are fine also.

Thanks,
Newf.