View Single Post
Old 01-23-2014, 11:25 AM
Banned

Default Candied Salmon

As promised:

Candy Salmon recipe.
This is a recipe that I use with my Traeger BBQ/smoker. It is an adaptation of several recipes. I took the best of some and combined to make this one. It was successful on the very first attempt. I’ve stuck with it ever since as I don’t think smoked fish can get any better than this.

I just purchase the Atlantic salmon from Costco. The brine below will do about 6 whole fillets. If you want to smoke more, make more brine as you want the fish fully submerged.

· 1/2 Gallon of Water
· 1 Cup Pickling Salt
· 2 pounds of the darkest, heavy-molasses type Brown Sugar. If not available, regular brown sugar will do
· 1 Cup real Maple Syrup

When mixing the brine, I suggest using boiling hot water to dissolve the pickling salt. If not, the fish on the bottom of the bowl will be too salty. Make sure the salt is well dissolved and add the other ingredients afterward.
Clean and slice fillets of salmon (against the grain) into 1/2" slices. Cut the fillets into 8” to 10” long pieces by approx. 4” wide. Do not brine thicker pieces as the center will be more like sushi.

Mix brine and soak salmon slices for 1 to 2 days.

To smoke, use a mixture of cherry, madrone and apple, or alder by itself (that’s what I use). Basically, you want to use a mild smoke. I use a Traeger smoker/bbq. But any smoker should do. The very important thing to remember is to use a mild smoke. In my Traeger, I smoke for 8-12 hours. Check it a couple of times to see how you like it.

NOTE: halfway through the smoking process (4-6 hours), brush the salmon with a mixture of 3/4 Cup honey ¼ Cup dark molasses ¼ cup real Maple Syrup and ¼ Cup water. Return to the smoker for the remaining 6 hours.
Apparently, this is also great for beef and venison, although I’ve never tried it.