View Single Post
Old 02-14-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
I clean my battery posts every 2 months, is this nesessary? Ive heard of some kind of grease that you put on the posts that is anti corrosive,any wisdom? Thanks in advance.

The question is do they need it? Are they dirty and corroded or are you just wasting time? If they are dirty and corroded, why? They shouldn’t be.

Dielectric grease is made to go on the connection before you put it together. On a battery you would clean the posts and terminals, put your dielectric grease on them then put the terminal on the post and tighten it up. The mechanical connection between the post and terminal will smear the grease off where they’re touching and you’ll have the protective quality of the grease everywhere without the mechanical connection. I use it extensively on my Jeep because it sees enough mud and water it needs it. You can also get that electro shield spray you apply after but I’m not a fan of that crap.

In contrast to you cleaning your posts every two months, here are pics of the two batteries on my diesel ram I bought new in 2010. I’ve never removed a battery terminal or changed a battery, these are the four posts today, from the factory, with no dielectric grease that I have no plans on cleaning.