View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 09:41 PM
Banned

ive had two silly ones. the first was tossing empty cases from 5 different guns into one box (all same cartridge--270win). then proceeded to load up a few hundred rounds for everyone, but the problem was that one gun had a very sloppy chamber. when the full length sizer went to the bottom, it left a bit of a bulge near the rim where the case didnt enter the die right where it contacts the shell holder. some of those shells wouldnt fit in a couple of the guns. not a safety concern, but it taught us something.

another was just a year ago. i loaded some nickel plated brass that my son had shot in his gun. i had never used nickel cases before, but reloaded them with the same load i have used in that gun for 23 years. the first shot, the bolt was slightly stiff lifting, so they were pulled and discarded.

the gun i saw explode at the range was similar to a story told here recently. a guy new to reloading used a load he read in a manual, but didnt realize the powder mattered. he also heard from a buddy that 10% safety margin was built into published loads, so added that 10% just because he wanted it shooting a little faster. the barrel split open with a bulge right in front of the chamber. it didnt hurt him, but scared the manure right out of him. i got there about 10 minutes after it happened, but i was told he was so scared he fell in shock and darn near passed out.