View Single Post
Old 09-21-2020, 01:18 PM

Default Who cares about the new guy???

Uhhh...
I guess that's me...
Sorta. It could be said that I do have hunting experience. However I've never hunted animals. It was usually "bad guys". Or more to the point. People hunting me but I digress. Lately I've become obsessed with the notion of hunting the elusive and cunning and equally problematic wild boar of Central Alberta. Ignorantly and perhaps foolishly I've committed to taking part in this activity with the use of recently purchased 415 fps crossbow. I've also acquired a suitable amount of kit in preparation. Friends of mine also offered information and locations about where to pursue these formidable creatures but the information they provided didn't pan out. No matter. Still very much committed and very determined. I realize now, after extensive research conducted primarily online and phone interviews. This may be a potentially difficult and challenging pursuit. Only compounded by attempting to learn, track, and hunt alone. I also realize and understand that there are multiple opinions about hunting boar. The government says "kill em all". The experts say "hunting is not the solution" but can't determine what actually is the solution. And of course the hunters are saying that "this is all nonsense" and that they are quite capable of finding boar to hunt.
All I know is that I very much want to be a part of it and I want to do it with my crossbow. I have the determination, discipline, patience, skill set and equipment to see this through. I also have the latitude but what I could really use is a little guidance. Some minor indication of where to look. Or who's door to knock on. Or maybe just some good, old fashioned, no b.s. straight up advice. I appreciate straight forward comments. It's the language only a former soldier seems to understand. So. If anyone out there is able assist in any way. I will happily pay this favor back. Or forward! I'm sure I'm not the only retired soldier/mid-lifer with a crossbow and a hate on for hogs out there.