View Single Post
Old 09-06-2018, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Hey Marty, I agree on both. Pinks are my 2nd favorite for flavor after chinook. I've had heard so much about sockeye being the tops with lots of fat but I've tried a decent amount, all from rivers but fresh and silver, and have not been impressed. And yes, river fishing sockeye is such fun on an 8 wt. I used a 9 foot 10 wt and that was nothing but awesome as well.

Brandon, nice catch there
If you don't mind, could you post back on how they tasted and what you thought?
I love sockeye. I prefer it to all the other salmon. I think my taste buds are programmed different than yours though. For me I'd probably rank them Sockeye -> Chinook -> Coho and i don't really eat pinks and chum. Not really a fan of them.

Fishing on the salt is way better than the Gong show on the river. They're all just flossing sockeye anyways since they don't bite in the river. The river fishery closed and the last day was Tuesday. I went for my first time down to the river after work on Tuesday just to see what it was about and bounce a ball. Not my cup of tea at all. I'm not into involuntary snagging of fish when I can actually catch them out on the saltwater and way fresher fish then the ones I was seeing caught.

For now the Ocean fishery remains open but guys are guessing DFO will close it any day since they already shut the river down since no longer able to sustain a fishery. Guys are still getting limits out on the ocean. Just not as many people out there as you find on the river.

The river gong show really turned me off. I won't be doing that again.

Apparently they projected 13 million and now they corrected their forecast to more like 7 million fish because it doesn't seem the late summer run is as good as the early and mid summer run.

Here's an underwater video I got sockeye fishing

https://youtu.be/Qm87V6d4SuU

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures