View Single Post
Old 11-08-2019, 12:24 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
Not sure how everyone else feels but to me this young man gets a lot of publicity.
I feel for the young man by what happened to him and his team mates.

Seems the News people can not leave this guy alone, by what he all gets, his home got all fixed up so he can move around from top to bottom floors, got send across country , and abroad for treatment. Why is this guy so special? And gets all these hand outs.
My brother broke his back 20 years ago while at work, he just got married 3 weeks prior and he has to make it all on his own, the Government will only give him a new wheelchair every 5 years. And after 5 years his chair is finished.
He has never been down his basement as it would cost him an extra 30k to put in a chair lift.
To me there are so many people with disabilities and have to try to make it on their own, and Ryan gets it all.

Also with this Humbold bus crash what if it was a bus of seniors ?

Just a bit frustrating.
I understand. It does seem unfair.

My back was injured on the job when I was 16, so a kid.

I have never received any treatment of any sort even though I have asked many times. And I have never received one cent in compensation.

I've just had to manage on my own. Not the same as being in a wheel chair I know. Still it has been life altering. One example of how much, I had to give up trapping years ago because the work bothered my back too much.

Meanwhile I see sports celebrities getting injured in much the same way, but they get fixed. So why not me?

To be fair to this young man, he had no part in the response to his and his team mates treatment after the accident.
That was all or almost all due to the media coverage and the media coverage was more because of the game they play then anything else.

I have a close friend, a school bus driver who was injured in an accident.
That was a year and a half ago and she is still in a wheel chair even though her only injury was a broken ankle.
Somehow she got infection in her ankle bones and the doctors didn't catch it until a couple of months ago.
Now she may never walk again.

No kids were injured and there was no media coverage of the accident.
In another accident up by Fort Vermilion, kids were injured. Again no media coverage.

It doesn't seem fair.

I tell myself that is just how life is and I know that is true, but that doesn't make it feel any better. My back still hurts, even now as I sit in front of my computer.

I try to stay upbeat and most of the time I am, but there are times, like when I see others getting everything provided for them when all they had was some cuts and bruises (not talking about the Humbolt kids) and it gets me down. It shouldn't but it does.

George Bernard Shaw