Thread: Hornady ELD-X
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2020, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post
I agree with many posters here. Keep the velocity down or they can make a mess. Definitely keep your impacts off of large bones.

That said, they are the most accurate bullet I've shot.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
X2

They are designed as a long distance hunting round, basically they will perform very well at lower velocities. What is the max distance you plan to hunt at? If it’s under 400m, load them slower and they are very accurate and very dependable.

I reload 178 grain eld-x for my 308, under 2600fps, and within 400m they are the most accurate load I’ve made (savage model 11 .308 with light contour barrel). I’ve taken a white tail at 13m (should have had my bow in hand but it was a darn blizzard) and he only went about 50m before piling up. Took a big mule buck on the run at 75m, dropped him mid stride. Last year I took a 46” bull moose at 214m, shot in the neck- he folded and was dead before he hit the ground. I prefer to hunt at close range, my preference, and so I have no need to push this round fast. At slower velocities the accuracy nodes are easy to find and dial in.

3 shots at 100m, same rifle mentioned above, off a bench. I thought my bases were loose or something was off after the second and third shots, so I walked down to check my target, nothing left to say.