View Single Post
Old 11-23-2011, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100winger View Post
I am handgun owner and love to shoot them - shot IPSC for years, poorly but still enjoyed it. Selfish - no we were asked for an opinion. You got it.
Re the handgun hunting - that is not a freedom; nor can we say it is my right to do so. I would be willing to accept it as long as the hunter would be able to pass a proficiency test; seems to be a reasonable idea. The notion that a hunter can hit what he is aiming at, recognizing that shooting a handgun accurately is a difficult thing to do. Much more so than my bolt gun. Sorry to have crawled so far down your craw - my comments were towards who gets to hunt during peak times - especially elk - its not a long gun hunter.
If you want to get into proficiency tests, that is a slippery slope. I'd put myself with a handgun up against a lot of rifle hunters, if you are going to base it on that, they better be tested too then.

You are free to have an opinion, but expect to be called upon to back it up.

Excellent point Camp Cook. I've shot competitive archery and competitive handgun, and I know which one took more practice and which one I'm better at. If I had to live off my game, I'd take the handgun every time.