View Single Post
Old 03-13-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger CS View Post
Yes, I agree 250 gr. is definitely on the light side for this caliber, however a friend gave me a box and thought I should try them for fun. Do you have any info for the 420 gr. cast bullets using the powder I have.
Basically covered by Dean. For years my go-to powder has been H4198 and I would use cigarette papers to stuff the case. But the truth is both 4198's are a bit fast and yes, pressure builds faster than velocity. That's not to say you can't build a good load with either. You can. But since I was turned on to Varget for the 45-70, it's all I use. The case fills up faster, you get good velocity and pressure is startlingly low.

I've got some 405g hard cast gas checked pills that I got from Jet Bullets that are loaded hot enough that the powder doesn't rattle in the case, yet extraction is normal and there are no pressure signs at all on the cases. I'm hoping to get them over the chrony when things warm up here. Wouldn't be surprised if they're poking north of 1900 fps. That's out of my 22" 1895 - no recoil pad on that one.

Colin