Thread: Goat hunt
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2018, 11:55 AM

In my opinion you can’t do Deveber on foot and pull a goat out. Unless you have 3 guys going minimum.
It’s 2 full days on horses just to get to many faces, then on foot up the valley. The trail up the valley for the first part is hard to find, stay on the north side of the creek until you hit the avalanche slide then climb. Also there’s no water other then the creek in the main valley floor. it’s a good climb getting to the slide, then above that there’s no water. None I could find anyway.
West of the slide is where you’ll find the goats, they’ll be there, if you can get to them that is.
Two days in, two days out, a second meat trip if you get one adds 4 more days. You better be in pretty awesome shape if you’re going to try this hunt on foot. And I can almost guarantee the fish cops are going to want to see meat you packed out 35 km’s or so as the crow flies. I’m going to guess it’s close to 60 km’s one way.
I’d say with 3 guys if you packed ultra light and killed the goat in the first 3 days you could get it done. But that’s a lot of suffering coming out of that place on foot. With 80-90 pounds on.