View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011, 12:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
It's relevant because if a regulation is proposed to allow pack dogs on big game hunts there is no logic to it if the dog can only carry it's own food. There would be no requirement for dog food if there's no dog. Make sense?

A dog that doesn't pack is not a pack dog, it's just a dog.

If you are looking for ways around it then I suppose that you could carry the dog food and the dog can carry your socks and underwear. See, we've already found ways to exploit the system!
The main purpose for a pack dog is for companionship. The amount it can carry is a bonus. Guys are trying to find excusses on why they shouldnt be allowed. But there really is no legitimate reason shown to not have it legal. A 20lb(small) dog can carry roughly 5lbs - 6lbs thats easy his food(depending on the length of the trip and a couple pounds of gear). That equals my cook stove and a couple more small iteams. So most dogs can carry enough to be a help, even smaller dogs if you so wish. Even if he only carried his food in he will carry that weight out which when packing out a full sheep, and all your gear would be a huge help in my eyes. And the bigger the dog the bigger the help.
SG