View Single Post
Old 03-17-2010, 09:04 AM

Most of the coyotes we got were using baits, farmers set out baits for us in locations we could sneak up to with a truck, if a coyote was present we let the hounds go. Certainly the coyotes heard the truck coming and often were already leaving, but they didn't take off on the dead run at the first sign of a truck, and were often still within 400 yards of the truck, although depending on locations the hounds can certainly make a longer chase.

As to sight hunters, I don't know my dogs that well, all we ever used was greyhounds, even as kill dogs, I found they had about 40% success on tracking a yote through a bush, a lot depended on the size of the bush etc. In a stubble field with just a few bushy patches they had good success, in pasture with thicker larger bush it wasn't as good.

KI-UTE, sounds to me like you completely singling out hound hunters as the only type of people who ever chased a coyote in a truck, and then trying to make the argument that all hound hunters do that. I hunted with grandpa for years and don't remember him ever damaging a truck, yet I know lots of deer hunters who spend lots of money every year repairing damage to their trucks.

In my area driving hell bent across a field after a yote is a good way to write off a truck, we pretty much stuck to the roads, and since coyotes don't tend to run down the roads, I don't know how you figure we chased them with the truck. We usually only left the beaten path to go collect the hounds and the yote, slowly picking our way across the field.