View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
So many variables with terminal ballistics....

Did bullet pass through because it failed to expand.... probably not a good thing...

Did bullet stay in far side of hide because it did not expand and calibre was too small for it to make it through?

Did bullet exit because it expanded late.... and waste energy outside of animal....

Did bullet not exit because it expanded too fast?

PERFECT world is where bullet starts expanding immediattely upon enetring animal is able to shear through bone without stopping or fragmenting and has enough energy to make it all the way to far side of animal before finally petering out leaving a wave of hydrostatic destrucion in its wake....

Rarely are we in perfect world....

Try to make a 300 wsm 180 grain bullet stay inside a deer without a shouler hit.... or have a 223 bullet pass through an elk while expanding....

I have seen many situations that were less than ideal. I saw a moose hit witha 300 Win Mag at 30 yards that entered the moose and fragmented in the longs and actually dislocated the shoulders creating huge internal blood shock and was not noticed until there was a horrible stench after hanging for 3 days....both shoulders were lost. Yet that bullet did not exit....

Seen a moose killed with a 243 where bullet went through the heart and expanded and yet exited and moose dropped in its tracks....

Seen a deer hit with a 300 win mag at 500+ yards that dropped in its tracks but bullet on expanded enogh to take far lung out (was hanging on tree 30 yards behind the deer....yet no meat wasted!....

Another time a quartering to deer hit with a 243 that hit spine and bullet travelled along spine and out the hind end and completely ruined the meat in the deer... and deer dropped in his tracks....

All I can say is sometimes too much energy and sometimes too little.... it needs to be applied in the right spot. However having too much energy will results in a humane kill more often than too little...it just all depends on how much meat you want to consume.

All these variables ca be taken into consideration and there are many opinions on these variables as well and if there were not we would not have the bullet, and calibre selection discussions that we can all learn from....

I think that all things considered that two holes means you erred on the side of caution and had more energy than required... better than not enough...
X2. Well done sir well done , bravo , I mean this
Sincerely to

If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything. (Mark twain)

if you don't have the time to do it right now,
how you gonna find time to do it right later !!!!!
(truck window)