View Single Post
Old 12-15-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Ya it was a head shot, and it was at quite a distance as well.

I agree with what John said, and I know many other do too. The best you can hope for is the optimum scenario and hope the bullet does it's job. The Barnes bullet works well when it's traveling fast, the ballistic tip works well when it's traveling slow, but the cup and core just flat out works..... imo.
By far the majority of rifles I have owned over the years were chambered for slower cartridges, the fastest being the swift ( varmint so doesn't count) and my 6.5/WSM wildcats.
Most of my cartridges dawdle along between 1,500 and 2,700 FPS out of the muzzle and I tend to use heavier bullets, so the cup and core styles lie the Hot core and SGK and the C.I.L. bullets of yesteryear are my goto bullets.
I am loading my .303 this year with Barnes TSX and the bullet did exactly what it was supposed to this year because it went where I aimed it
( 117 yard bang flop )

I have a mess of cup and core bullets however and will continue to use them, as well as hard cast bullets.
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 12-15-2016 at 10:04 AM.