View Single Post
Old 02-02-2015, 02:12 PM

i found 38 55 loads that fast on a site called ranchdogs notes i dont know how to link it. i personally dont believe a guy could go out next day and everything happens to be perfect as well as great skill and do this target. however it seems to me why not shoot the bullet this speed its over max by the book for sure but what does that mean till the gun blows up in your face and its probly not overpressure for the brass a 38 55 has a s.d. similar to a 170 gr. 30 cal so it should take the same pressure to drive it down the bore with the same acceleration. obviously it will require more powder and with the different case to bore volume ratio if you run out of case space you may have to use a quicker powder thus upping the pressure but according to the site its doable with the available space in the same powders ie rl7 n120 etc also although the charges are greater than 170 gr 30 cal charges the bore volume is increasing much quicker as the bullet moves down the bore. it doesnt seem politically correct to hotrod the 38 55 but look what people are doing to the 45 70 a cartridge fairly similar scaled up