View Single Post
Old 03-26-2008, 01:29 PM

I tried a neck sizing die, once. Then I sold it and went back to my "old" system. It works like this:

Shoot some full power factory ammo, or load the equivalent yourself. Then look for an empty case from that batch that takes a little effort to re-chamber. If you can find more than one, set them all aside.

Then start to resize these cases, beginning with the sizing die set far to high in the press to size the body. Progressively turn the sizing die further down into the press until the re-chambering resistance disappears. At this point you are resizing your brass the minimum amount needed to get resistance-free chambering. That's what you want in a hunting rifle, smooth and easy chambering with no excessive resizing. If you are shooting a target rifle you may tolerate some resistance when chambering in order to get a tight chamber fit. But that would only be the case for slow and deliberate courses of fire.

Note that as your brass ages and work hardens a little you may have to make a slight adjustment to get resistance free chambering. You'll know after 3-5 reloads. At that point you can rest assured that sizing die is set up for your rifle's chamber.

In a typical hunting rifle you won't notice any accuracy difference between neck sizing and the method described above. If you want to fuss about something, spend your time and energy on building "straight" ammo. Get a bullet runnout gauge and use it. That WILL show a difference.

triggerpress