View Single Post
Old 01-30-2022, 06:20 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveClown View Post
I new I should have used my heavy duty reel like yours when we were there the other weekend, I nailed a monster who I got up to the bottom of the ice but it would not cooperate with getting its head up and would blast sideways. This was honestly the biggest fish I ever had on my line, I was so excited and then bam it pops off and gone... this is where I notice that my reel is busted, it put so much pull that my ice fishing reel got destroyed... I was shocked the rod held up since it was bent at times right over... but atleast I can say I had a trout bust my reel..

And yes I am still crying myself to sleep to this day over not being able to land it.... Might cry more when I have to explain to the wife that I need to buy another reel...
This reel has history....it was my dads he bought it in the early 70’s for salmon fishing, bottom fishing out in the west coast.
He handed me all his gear and I simply couldn’t pass up on cleaning this old gem up and putting it to use, Penn Mono 25, spooled it with 30lb fluorocarbon and sits on a heavy action wide eye rode....I call it the fish winch

I got lighter stuff too but this is just a classic and feels good in the hand....and if that fish of a lifetime shows up well it I see in trouble

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...