View Single Post
Old 01-01-2011, 07:03 PM

I have always lived in bush country so have never felt the need to shoot long range.Most of my guns have been big magnums with low power scopes that are perfect for close shots and breaking shoulders..

In past years I have found that a few things have changed.I travel more to other parts of Alberta as well as the States and find that I do alot more open country hunting these days,Also what used to be heavy bush around home is now more open cutblocks from logging and fires..

So I have found myself wishing i could stretch my range a bit..

I would consider myself a good shot out to 350 yrds with a rest and 200 or so off hand..

So my new shooting iron for 2011 is an older Sako AV Hunter (unfired) in 280rem,McMillan stock,Timney Trigger and a 4 1/2-14 Luopold with the BC reticle..

With hashmarks out to 500yrds I think it should be no problem with a little practise to be confident at this range.I feel even at 350-400 I will be a better shot as I will be able to hit right where I am aiming..

500 yrds to some is a slam dunk but to me if I can stretch my range another 150yrds I feel that It will make me a more succesful hunter.Plus shooting at 500 will just make those 300yrd shots seem much easier..

I will never hunt without rangefinder with bow or rifle as I am uncomfortable taking shots that I am unsure of the distance..

Last edited by BrownBear416; 01-02-2011 at 12:24 AM.